Responses & Reactions
- What disturbed you, challenged you, or intrigued you in this week’s message?
- The story of the Canaanite begins with Jesus frustrated over his disciples’ failure to understand his teachings about what makes a person “clean” or “unclean” (15:16). Why do you think the disciples had such a hard time receiving this particular teaching?
- The miracle of Jesus multiplying bread is the only miracle story to be recorded in all 4 gospels. Matthew and Mark each tell two stories about multiplying bread. Why do you think this miracle receives so much emphasis? What does it communicate about God?
Bringing it Home
- Do you have a sense yourself of being loved, chosen, and called by God? If so, who has helped you receive that truth? If not, what causes you to doubt your status?
- Who are you personally tempted to dismiss as too ignorant or unworthy to be chosen and used by God? Who in our local community or church do you think feel “under the table”?
- What would it look for us to become “table turners” in Jesus’ name? What fears or hesitations hold us back?