For Further Study: Bob Ekblad, Reading the BIble with the Damned
Teaching Link: “Here I Am,” January 15, 2012
Downloadable group discussion sheet: .pdf
Questions for Groups or Reflection:
- Read through the story of the calling of Samuel. Respond to and discuss the following statements.
God speaks through unlikely sources.
God’s message isn’t always clear at first.
It is not a lack of speaking but of hearing.
2. Discuss this quote by Dorothee Soelle:
"God has no other hands than ours. If the sick are to be healed, it is our hands that will heal them. If the lonely and the frightened are to be comforted, it is our embrace, not God's, that will comfort them."
Do you agree or disagree?
3. To whom have you yet to listen that might teach you something about God? Yourself? Yourself and God?
4. What do you do when God’s message is unclear? To whom do you go for clarification? Are you part of a discerning community?
5. Are there ways that you hear the voice of God more clearly than others? What are some things you might do to help you hear better?