Responses & Reactions
- What disturbed you, challenged you, or intrigued you in this week’s message?
- Why do you think the book of Job was included in the Bible? What purpose does it serve within the larger arch of the biblical story?
- Read 1 Peter 1:3-12. This passage, like Job 23:10, associates suffering with the process of refining gold. What do you think this image suggests about the effects of suffering? Are there ways that we engage suffering that make us more likely to receive its positive benefits?
Bringing it Home
- Have you ever had an experience of spiritual darkness? What was it like? How has that experience changed your faith? What did you learn from it about God or yourself?
- When you are searching for God, where do you tend to look?
- Is there anything you can do (or not do) in a time of darkness that you’ve found to be helpful?